The Fenestration Installation Technician – Level 1 (FIT-1) Personnel Certification has been developed by Fenestration Canada in conjunction with industry stakeholders to provide assurance that an individual possesses the competencies deemed necessary to perform the job function of a Fenestration Installation Technician – Level 1 (FIT-1). The certification is designed to complement accreditation programs for verification bodies.
This certification has been developed in compliance with the ISO 17024 standard. ISO 17024 is the global benchmark for organizations operating personnel certification programs and outlines the methods and procedures required to ensure the objective and unbiased assessment of a candidate’s knowledge, skills and abilities.
Passing the FIT-1 examination will indicate that the candidate possesses the knowledge, skills and decision-making abilities necessary to install, service and replace factory assembled windows, exterior doors and skylights that are intended for installation in low-rise buildings and buildings used primarily for residential occupancy up to three stories. Candidates will also be tested on applying appropriate knowledge and skill to assure the installation meets all manufacturer and standards requirements.
Certified Fenestration Installation Technicians will be periodically re-assessed to ensure they remain up-to-date on technical developments and industry changes.
The Building Professionals website will contain a registry of Certified Fenestration Installation Technicians.
Qualifications of a Certified Fenestration Installation Technician
The Fenestration Installation Technician- Level 1 certification tests each candidate’s knowledge to ensure the candidate possesses the knowledge and skills of the FIT-1 known as the minimally qualified candidate (MQC).
The MQC has the knowledge and is able to do the following without assistance, including (but not limited to):
Read, understand and apply:
- Codes and Standards
- Latest construction and building technologies
- Construction documentation including drawings and written specifications
- Manufacturer’s instructions and requirements
- A440.4 Window Installation standard, along with industry best practices and building science concepts
- Local and regional climatic requirements
- Utilize the appropriate materials, installation methods and maintenance of tools required for the proper installation of factory assembled exterior doors, windows and unit skylights in residential settings 3 stories or less
- Basic knowledge of mathematics and geometry
- Show competency in basic work site Occupational Health and Safety Requirements
- 1000 hours of hands on work experience within the past 3 years.
- Successful completion of the certification exam (pass rate is 70%).
- Allotted time to complete the certification exam is 3 hours.
- Submit a signed application form.
- Meet all prerequisites of the certification.
- Sign and adhere to the professional code of ethics.
- Submit all required fees.
- Pass the Fenestration Canada certification computer-based or written exam.
Building Professionals will process applications in the order received. If an application is incomplete, Building Professionals will notify the applicant via e-mail of missing information. All missing information shall be corrected before the candidate is approved to take the certification exam.
All applicants will receive a confirmation e-mail regarding their registration and certification eligibility requirements.
Each new application has a life span of six (6) months from the time it is received. The applicant shall fulfill all requirements of the certification process within that time period. If an applicant is unable to complete the certification process within that period of time, the application will expire and the applicant shall restart the certification process including payment of any application or examination fees.
Click here to download the certification application.
|Initial Registration Fee (non-refundable)||One-time only||$275.00|
|Basic Exam Fee||Each time it is taken||$225.00|
|Online Proctored Exam Fee||Each time it is taken using an online proctor service||$225.00 exam fee plus $50.00|
|Approved Location Exam Fee||Each time it is taken using a physical location that is provided by BP||$225.00 exam fee plus $125.00|
|Delivery of Exam at Set Location Fee||Per location and day||To be quoted separately|
|Annual Renewal of Certification Fee||Annually||$150.00|
|Reinstatement of Certification (if lapsed)||For each year the certification has been allowed to lapse||$150.00|
|Re-certification Fee (Exam must be taken to re-certify)||Every five years or as directed by Fenestration Canada||$150.00 plus $225.00 exam|
Payment and Refund Policy
Application shall be processed upon full payment of applicable fees, and a notification shall be sent regarding any of the following:
- Request for additional information
- Application audit (if selected)
- Exam scheduling notification